NEWS + ADVICE
Perfect Your Resume with 7 Tips from Jacobs
Jose Orellana is an Intelligence and IT Talent Acquisition professional with Jacobs, who has supported various industries within the recruiting field. He has extensive experience supporting the DoD and the United States Military. As a Marine Corps veteran, he uses his military transition journey and recruitment knowledge to help others succeed.
What Makes an Effective Resume
1. Design matters. Don’t go overboard with intricately decorated templates – keep it simple. I recommend Times New Roman and a font size of 11 pt.
2. Be reachable. Make it easy for recruiters to reach out to you by providing your contact information (phone number, email, and LinkedIn URL). There’s no need to list your full home address, just the city and state near the top.
3. Show off your skills. Don’t make recruiters hunt for the most critical information on your resume. Make sure you highlight your skills and show why you’re a good fit for the job.
4. List your experience. This section should include each company you’ve worked for, your title, the dates you worked there (Month/Year), and several bullet points that describe your key accomplishments and responsibilities.
5. Quantify your experience. Whenever you use concrete numbers or metrics, it helps provide recruiters with the scope and context of your work, and demonstrates how you contributed to the bottom line.
6. Be a name-dropper. If you’ve worked with well-known clients or companies, go ahead and include them by name. Something like: “Google, Boeing, SpaceX, Edward Jones, Jabil…” – this will get recruiters’ attention quickly.
7. Stay away from generic descriptors. Hardworking, self-motivated, self-sufficient, proactive and detail-oriented are all words you’ll find on most people’s resumes. But most job seekers are motivated and hardworking, so these traits don’t really set you apart from the rest of the applicant pool. Instead, focus on the specific skills and accomplishments that make you different from everyone else applying to the position.
Now that you’ve got your resume in order, learn more about Jacobs and check out their cleared opportunities.
Jacobs’ Hiring Process
Jacobs has an effective interview process. When a qualified candidate applies, he or she will have a 30-minute phone screen with the recruiter. If they meet the qualifications, they will have a phone or in-person interview with the hiring manager and will be notified with feedback within 48 hours, depending on the position. If they receive an offer, they will complete our job application and will begin the onboarding process.
What Positions Does Jacobs Recruit For
We support the DoD very heavily with a focus on Intelligence Analysts, System Administrators, System Engineers, Cyber Security and most Information Technology professionals.
2 thoughts on “Perfect Your Resume with 7 Tips from Jacobs”
How can I get security clearance to work at Fort Bragg as a civilian
I would love to learn more about your background. Would you have time to jump on a call later this week? If so, send me your resume to [email protected] and give me a call at (813)-282-3500 Ext. 395